Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Swifts and swallows

The latest news and gossip about what's happening in Ampthill.

Swifts and swallows

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed May 09, 2018 12:43 pm

I have been keeping an eye out for the swifts and swallows this year. They are usually here by now but as yet I have not seen any.
In past years they have been here in April. Has anyone sighted them?
Plenty of starlings seem to have returned. Little flocks of them pecking over the lawn. And this year we have the little cockney sparrows back.
They have been absent for quite a considerable time. Finches of all kinds, and of course, the blue and black tits abound.
The Robin's nest in my conifer produced 2 young who are now to be spied keeping a very low profile in the larger bushes in the garden.
I feel very lucky as my friend who lives in Bedford says she only ever sees pidgeons and magpies with the occasional blackbird in her garden despite the
fact that she puts out seeds and nuts for them.
SCRABBLER

Re: Swifts and swallows

Postby mickmc » Wed May 09, 2018 2:37 pm

I have seen a swift over the last week but nothing else however I was at my sister in laws yesterday who lives in Cambs and her property is awash with house martins !
mickmc

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed May 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Starlings are back in my neighbours roof, saw swallows or swifts, sorry i dont know the difference at a farm shop a couple of weeks back.

We have a lot of gold finches this year in the garden
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby CardMan » Thu May 10, 2018 1:42 am

When setting up at the market last week I had two Robin's come and visit.

They sure were close.
http://www.facebook.com/kwalitykards
See us at Ampthill Market.
CardMan

Postby Sagitar » Thu May 10, 2018 11:18 pm

We have seen Swifts on several occasions over our garden this week. We have a pair of Robins raising a brood and the Goldfinches and various titmice are visiting the feeder. There are blackies on the ground and the odd Starling attacking the fat balls. The oddest visit has been from a Magpie which on two occasions has perched on the door handle to the French windows and peered into the house.
I must see if I can get some pictures.
Sagitar

Postby Sagitar » Fri May 11, 2018 2:42 pm

Sagitar

Postby SCRABBLER » Fri May 11, 2018 6:57 pm

Lovely pics of the Gold Finch. However, still no swifts here. On Anglia last night there was an item on the dearth of Swifts this year.
Special boxes are being put up to encourage those that do come to nest. Many of their nest sights are no longer available and we do not seem to
building buildings with "overhangs" at roof level for them to nest under. I would say, that at at one time, the houses across the road from me
had the right conditions for the Swift and Swallows to nest, which they did - but oh the mess. It is no wonder that the ordinary householder finds
it difficult to accommodate them. They are not the cleanest of birds.
SCRABBLER

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu May 31, 2018 5:40 pm

There was an item on Radio 4Today, yesterday morning, about the non appearance of Swifts this season. Concern was expressed that although these birds
arrive later than swallows and martins they should be seen about now. They come later and leave slightly later than the other two apparently. Something
I was not aware of. However, so far, they are conspicuous by there apparent absence and it was hoped that they would be seen soon. No real reason could be given for their very late showing this Summer but there has been a decline over the last few years of this species.
SCRABBLER

Return to What's Happening