Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreAmpthill Brewhouse

shops closed

Talk about local shops and amenities here. Also if you run a local business - tell us about it.

shops closed

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:26 am

I note that the florist has closed now :( so a few closed again with the old coffee shop closed there is 2 vacancies .

The offices on the corner look empty too.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Re: shops closed

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:44 pm

It is such a shame that we cannot keep the sops going in the Town and that so many come and go in short time.
Where are the Pinny's and Dix of yesteryear.
I suppose that the problem is business rates and level of leases these days. If you don't get the foot fall you just can't keep going and make
a reasonable living. Hence so many Charity Shops who do not have to pay the same level of rates etc. And of course they do get the necessary
foot fall from punters looking for bargains etc.
It's a funny old World!!!
And by the way - does anyone besides me remember when half-day closing was Tuesday here in Ampthill? It was in the 60's.
SCRABBLER

Postby oceanbreeze » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:24 pm

Yes, Scrabbler, I rememeber half day closing on Tuesdays!!--- BTW where was the florist that Carolyn refers to ? Of course I remember with great affection Denise Inskip's florist in the shop that is now Reneson's hairdresser--- she did a wonderful window display one Valentine's day a naked mannequin holding a huge bunch of roses in a strategic position, it was such fun.
oceanbreeze

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:43 pm

oceanbreeze wrote: Denise Inskip's florist in the shop that is now Reneson's hairdresser--- she did a wonderful window display one Valentine's day a naked mannequin holding a huge bunch of roses in a strategic position, it was such fun.

I really don't remember that at all - must have missed that for some reason. However, I do remember Burgoine's in Bedford Street and the lady who used to serve in there.
Although no longer there, Burgoines are still selling flowers down at the bottom of Clophill Road, Maulden
SCRABBLER

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:21 pm

flowers with flair they were in the middle of Dunstable street, having moved from the premises further down.

Denise did some lovely flowers, I think she moved out of the area?
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby oceanbreeze » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:00 pm

Yes, Denise moved away, the Dunstable Street shop was run by another young lady whose name escapes me. yes, Scrabbler, I used to go to Burgoines in Maulden when the two shops in Ampthill closed down. I suppose it is very difficult to run a Florist shop these days, there is competition from online services like Interflora and Crocus etc, plus the supermarkets and the dreaded garage bunches.

We are lucky up here, being only about 10 miles away from a wholesaler who also runs a large garden nursery , if we go there on a Thursday the big vans are in from Holland unloading lots of lovely fresh flowers and permitted plants and shrubs. Many of those go out to large businesses and stately homes but the general public are welcome as well.
oceanbreeze

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:24 am

the Vapour place has now moved into the florists...and that shop is vacant.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby sizzla » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:27 pm

Danny's barbers will be moving to the old vapour place.
sizzla

Postby oceanbreeze » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:16 am

Musical shops !!
oceanbreeze

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:47 pm

so what is happening to the Barbers then - which one is that the one that is in the 'Pinnys' place?
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:52 am

Both units fully occupied now, Danny's looking super smart. I assume the old premise is going to be residential?

Hazels tea rooms still not been taken, and is the shake shop still open?
CraftsbyCarolyn

Return to Shopping, Businesses & Amenities