Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

A walk around Houghton House

Houghton Conquest, Marston, Millbrook, Stewartby and Wixams development

A walk around Houghton House

Postby Sagitar » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:05 am

After the rain stopped on Thursday, I decided on a walk to Houghton House. I started through Ampthill Park, where I saw and heard lots of small birds and noticed how fat the squirrels are. They must have had a good winter.

I exited the park by the far north east gate onto the Bedford Road and crossed to join the path to Houghton House. There were still a few signs of the rainclouds in the sky but the light was clear and though it was still quite early there was a late afternoon feel to things. Looking south east to Lodge Piece Farm and the reservoir there was great clarity.

It was noticeable how very bright the lichen were on the trees on the north side of the Houghton House path.

The house was very well lit as I approached it, but looking over Marston Vale, it is noticeable that the atmosphere is still quite smoggy even though we no longer have the brickworks.

The chimneys still stand sentinel though; I wonder for how long?

There was a small, but very well equipped gang, putting in a new fence on the east side of the house.

I walked down to the house. It was entirely deserted and I spent some time snapping around it. It could not have been any later than about 3 o'clock and yet the shadows were already very long.

Leaving the house by the path that swings north, I walked until there was a clear view over Houghton Conquest, which by then would be about a crow-flying mile away.

The thorn hedges have grown very high. Do those on field boundaries get trimmed these days?

I eventually came to a clear spot where I could see not only the church at Houghton Conquest, but also the hangers at Cardington, which I am guessing must be about 5 miles away. It's amazing how a long lens will foreshorten the view.

On my way home by now, having crossed the B530 near the Chequers and heading through the fields towards Ampthill Park House. I'm marvelling at how lucky we are to have the paths through the fields so clearly marked, even when they pass through fairly recently planted crops.

The crops in two of the main fields are clearly cereals and brassicas but I was puzzled by the third field that looked as though it had been drilled with a cereal crop, but also had a large number of bean plants growing strongly. I know nothing of agriculture. Could the beans be self sets from an earlier crop?

Unfortunately at this point, I had to cut short my venture and head for home with all speed to deal with an urgent 'phone call. I was disappointed to miss what turned out to be a glorious sunset, but it was a very enjoyable walk anyway.
Sagitar

Re: A walk around Houghton House

Postby Fortytwa » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:23 am

Nice images Sagitar. You had a good day for a walk.

We are very lucky to have such well maintained and marked paths in Bedfordshire.
Fortytwa

Postby masquerade » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:51 am

Great pictures. Looks like the next few days should be as clear so hopefully you'll get the shots you missed including a sunset.
masquerade

Postby oceanbreeze » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:19 am

What clarity! Will Covanta cloud the lovely clear air as well as the skyline one wonders?
Thank you for sharing the pictures.!
oceanbreeze

Postby nannie mary » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:00 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your walk with us. The pictures are so evocative - many memories of our more active days although never managed the distances that you do.
nannie mary

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:59 pm

great walk commentary - enjoying your 'series' of walks :)
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Firefly » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:22 pm

Al... gorgeous! Thank you so much for posting those. :D
~*Rachel*~
Firefly

Postby Fairiesnfrogs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:17 pm

wow.. the pictures are fantastic thank you for sharing them .. what a beautiful countryside we have x

convanta.... if your reading this.. see what you will destroy!!!
Fairiesnfrogs

Postby Sveti » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Amazing pics as always, but particularly love the ones of Houghton House. Thanks so much!
Sveti

Return to North of Ampthill