Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Wandering again

What's happening in Maulden, Clophill and areas to the east of Ampthill

Wandering again

Postby Sagitar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:54 pm

A couple of hours wandering yesterday, with my Fuji compact camera.

Starting towards Houghton House and beginning to see the first signs of Spring in the hedgerow . . . .

. . . . . but with lots of the remainders of Autumn and Winter still with us

Past Houghton House . . . .

. . . . then turning right to follow the path down to Gas House Lane.

I am not sure what you are supposed to do when you find a notice like this on a public footpath, but being on my own I pressed on. If my wife had been with me a retreat would certainly have been called for.

There were several animals in the field, but they were all lying down and I followed the path through the small herd, without disturbing any of them and arrived eventually at the eastern entrance to the cemetary.

Following the Ampthill Road to Maulden until I could turn right onto The Pathway then along Duck End Lane and threading through eventually to Moor Lane found colourful heads of rhubarb just breaking through in a field by the side of the lane.

The path emerges eventually at the industrial estate on New Road, reaching the estate by the path alongside this splendid ditch.

My first-of-the-year sight of hedgerow snowdrops came just after turning onto New Road . . . .

. . . . but just as I was saying a quiet thank-you to whoever had put them there, I realised that someone, not nearly so well intentioned, had dumped all sorts of rubbish into the ditch at the back of the verge. Why on earth do they do it?

By now the sun was setting and it was time to head back to Ampthill via Flitwick Road, Abbey Lane and the path to the Kings Arms Yard.

A very pleasant afternoon, even if a bit cold.
Sagitar

Re: Wandering again

Postby oceanbreeze » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:22 pm

Thank you Sagitar! Love the picture of the sticky buds appearing, very detailed.
oceanbreeze

Postby davp » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Thanks Sagitar. Fantastic photos, especially good considering you took them with a compact. Spring is certainly coming.

It is always disheartening to see rubbish in the countryside. Think we are very lucky around here as it is still the exception to the norm. I have lived in some unsavoury places where it is unusual to fine areas without rubbish.
davp

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:27 am

Love the snowdrops, great pics - almost feel as though was walking with you :)
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Sveti » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:10 am

Wonderful pics as always, thank you.
Sveti

Return to Maulden & Clophill