Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Maulden Garden Centre

What's happening in Maulden, Clophill and areas to the east of Ampthill

Re: Maulden Garden Centre

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:36 pm

Sparky wrote:It was certainly a strange place. They had a stand at the Wrest Park garden show back in the Spring and had some excellent plants. On that basis I dropped in a couple of weeks later and was very disappointed. The only stock they had was the dying remains of the plants from the garden show and I felt very uncomfortable to be pounced on and followed around by the owner. I left fairly quickly without buying anything and never went back. The owner had mentioned that he was having a very bad year, but given the run down and semi-derelict state of the place I'm hardly surprised it wasn't attracting customers. It's a shame he didn't put more of his time into tidying the place up a bit. He also mentioned that he was having a long running dispute with the planners from Central Beds council but I couldn't find any mention of it on t'internet.

I drove past earlier and wondered if the full skips in the car park signified it was closing down. While it's always a shame to see a business close I can't help but feel it's been on borrowed time for months.

It is in a good position, you would think they could just tidy it up a bit, and it would be ten times better.

There was a local nursery at the craft show that had some lovely plants and I wondered if it was that one

sizzla wrote:Does anyone remember the other Maulden Garden Centre? It's been just sitting there derelict for years. You'd think it would be worth millions to a housing developer.

spookily we went to the Dog and Badger for lunch on Thursday and was commenting how someone can afford to have something like that sitting 'idle' -
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Sparky » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:11 pm

I think that there was something funny about the way Badger Hill nursery closed down. I vaguely remember that the owner did a moonlight flit and vanished overnight although the reason why escapes me now. That's probably explains why it's sat there derelict though. I guess it still belongs to the same person who for some reason has never sold the site on for housing.

I've thought a couple of times how nice it'd be to be able to reopen it as a garden centre but it's probably not feasible. Apart from the problem of tracking down the owner and buying the site, the investment needed to refurbish the buildings would be huge and competition from the likes of Staples, Poplars, Frosts and Wyevale would probably make the business a non-starter. Always nice to dream though!
Sparky

Postby Sveti » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:07 pm

Had a card through my door saying this place now under new ownership, so called in to see if things were any better (couldn't be much worse than how it used to be run!!)

Certainly a lot tidier, plants were alive, )) and give 10% discount with the leaflet. Be interesting to see how they go....................
Sveti

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:14 pm

Badger Hill Nurseries. The Owner tried to get planning permission for housing on the site when he closed it down, but Mid Beds, as it was then, wouldn't let him have it. Something to do with Agricultural Use, I think. However, as planning permission seems to be being given for housing all over the place regardless, perhaps he should have another go. By the way, I got a pamphlet thro' my door only last week advertising the Maulden Garden Centre. Maybe it's suddenly got a new lease of life. :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:49 pm

Sveti wrote:Had a card through my door saying this place now under new ownership, so called in to see if things were any better (couldn't be much worse than how it used to be run!!)

Certainly a lot tidier, plants were alive, )) and give 10% discount with the leaflet. Be interesting to see how they go....................

I think this is the one I posted about ? On the bypass not Badger Hill?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6985&p=48204
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Sveti » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:52 am

Yes, that's right Carolyn
Sveti

Previous

Return to Maulden & Clophill