Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Do you read books?

A place to chat about TV, Music, Films and anything else related to the entertainment business

Do you read?

I read books all the time, but not on an a reader
13%
I read fairly often and use both
33%
I prefer books
33%
I prefer an e reader
7%
I love my e reader and much prefer it to books now, and read a lot
No votes
New technology is not for me and old fashioned books are the way to go
No votes
I rarely read books
13%

Total votes : 15

Do you read books?

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:15 am

Just wondered how many people are readers on here. I read in 'waves' on holiday I can get through a book every couple of days, but then I can go without reading for a while. I have a Kindle and much prefer to use that when I can as it is light and easy to put in my back, and can easily read 'one handed' great for lying by the pool!

I noticed that Ampthill had loads and loads of book clubs a while back, and I meet at one every 6 weeks or so, although the choice of books is governed by the library, I have just finished Alan Titchmarsh - Folly which was different to a lot of the books we are given - but it didn't do it for me!

..and no I have not read 50 shades of Grey...so let's not go there...
CraftsbyCarolyn

Re: Do you read books?

Postby SCRABBLER » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:38 am

I read all the time. I love autobiographies, thrillers, novels. You name it, I read it. However, I do not have a Kindle. Perhaps I should try a Kindle, but would not get that feel of "turning pages" with an e.reader. I think I should miss that. I should like to belong to a book club which meets to discuss books which have been read by all the members. It is always most interesting to get peoples different opinions of a particular book. And yes, out of curiosity, I have read F.S of G. Quite erotic, but then so was Lady Chatterley's Lover in it's time. They are, after all - only books. :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:56 am

SCRABBLER wrote:I read all the time. I love autobiographies, thrillers, novels. You name it, I read it. However, I do not have a Kindle. Perhaps I should try a Kindle, but would not get that feel of "turning pages" with an e.reader. I think I should miss that.

I have had this discussion with a couple of people that were adamant that they wouldn't 'leave' books and having got a Kindle just love it, and wouldn't go back to books.

The only thing I miss is being able to get 2nd hand books
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby SCRABBLER » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:23 pm

I am encouraged to try a Kindle and I will - it's one way of not losing your bookmarker!! No seriously, I WILL go on to Amazon today and get one. I will let you know how I get on and whether I will give up the feel of the printed page between my fingers forever. :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:33 pm

They stock them in a variety of places now - I saw one in Tesco's a while back when I was at my parents - so you can go and see before you try.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby SCRABBLER » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:38 pm

Oh, I hadn't thought of that - thank you, I will.. By the way I forgot to say, I belong to a Sports Club in Bedford and they keep a small bookcase of Members used Books, hard and paperback.
You purchase a book for 20p, you can then either keep it or return it for someone else to read. The money over the years has helped to purchase 3 Guide Dogs for the Blind, so I think, that besides trying the Kindle, I will keep taking the books to read from the Club. After all it is in a very good cause. :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby masquerade » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:05 pm

Tescos in Flitwick sometimes stock Kindles - otherwise a trip to Kingston may be necessary.

I still read paperbacks - but not too often!
masquerade

Postby itsnotreal » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:38 pm

I read a lot and use a mix of kindle and library. :)
ImageImageImage
itsnotreal

Postby Sagitar » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:24 pm

I have been e-reading for a long time. Years and years, long before Kindle, which is a triumph of marketing, but by no means the only source of e-reading material. I have used Mobipocket software since 2002 and Palm applications before that.

There is an open source library called the Gutenberg library at http://www.gutenberg.org/ that is worth a look. It has 30+ thousand free books (all out of copyright) in various e-reader formats and there are other sources if you look for them, so certainly no need to be tied to Amazon.

Lots of public libraries now operate e-reading schemes.

I read mainly on my Samsung Galaxy Note but on other devices too from time to time. I have no intention of buying another piece of hardware just for e-reading, it would be just one more thing to carry around. The Note is always in my pocket and lets me read whenever I have a spare moment to fill.

There are some forums devoted to discussions of e-reading, but I haven't looked at any of them for a long time. A google search should find some of them and it could be worth a look before jumping in.

I also read a lot on paper; technical material and novels. I buy second hand books regularly, one or two most weeks and an occasional new hardback when a favourite author publishes something new, but I pay no attention to the best-seller lists.
Sagitar

Postby groutman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:03 pm

I think that nowadays, there is a drug that is put into (real) books, that make you (alright, me then) fall asleep after a few pages.

(I should say, I mostly read in bed.)

I used to read a lot more in the past, but not so much now.

For the reason mentioned, it takes me ages to finish any!!

One of the advantages of the Kindle though, is that because it does not have a backlight, after looking at it for a long period, it does not tire the eyes as much as a computer screen, tablet etc., and is easy to read, even in direct sunlight.

As Sagitar says, a Kindle (for him) would be one more thing to carry around, but for people who just want a dedicated lightweight reader, then for something that can hold about a thousand books, and is much lighter than just one, then I can see the attraction.

While we are on the subject, does anyone know how long copyright for printed works lasts?
Northampton Branch Leader.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else.
groutman

Postby Sagitar » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:55 pm

groutman wrote: does anyone know how long copyright for printed works lasts?

My understanding is that there are two separate copyright rules that apply in the UK.

The author's rights continue to exist for 70 years from the date of his/her death (I think the period actually starts from the last day of the year of death).

In the case of a publisher of a work, copyright lasts for 25 years from the date of publication.

I am not an authority on this matter, someone else may know better. Copyright law is quite complicated.
Sagitar

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:12 pm

groutman wrote:One of the advantages of the Kindle though, is that because it does not have a backlight, after looking at it for a long period, it does not tire the eyes as much as a computer screen, tablet etc., and is easy to read, even in direct sunlight.

As Sagitar says, a Kindle (for him) would be one more thing to carry around, but for people who just want a dedicated lightweight reader, then for something that can hold about a thousand books, and is much lighter than just one, then I can see the attraction.

The sunlight issue is what sold it to me - was quite amusing seeing people on holiday huddled under various items trying to use something like an Ipad in the sun :) . Although in the dark I guess it is different.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby sarek7 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Books for me.
I can't see the point of forking out £90 to then have to pay for the books on top.
sarek7

Postby LasagneMan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:08 am

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote:Just wondered how many people are readers on here. I read in 'waves' on holiday I can get through a book every couple of days, but then I can go without reading for a while. I have a Kindle and much prefer to use that when I can as it is light and easy to put in my back, and can easily read 'one handed' great for lying by the pool!

I noticed that Ampthill had loads and loads of book clubs a while back, and I meet at one every 6 weeks or so, although the choice of books is governed by the library, I have just finished Alan Titchmarsh - Folly which was different to a lot of the books we are given - but it didn't do it for me!

..and no I have not read 50 shades of Grey...so let's not go there...

I belong to a book club that doesn't let the library govern the book choice. The leader is an English teacher and has VERY STRONG OPINIONS!
Was still reading the Daily Mail online to make sure I've not yet become a grumpy old man.
Then one day, I found I was screaming at the screen.
Now banned from a coffee shop :-)
LasagneMan

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:57 am

ooh maybe not for us either.... :lol:
CraftsbyCarolyn

Return to Entertainment