Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Recent viewing

A place to chat about TV, Music, Films and anything else related to the entertainment business

Recent viewing

Postby Paradise_Alley » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:23 pm

I have become rather fond of "Great British Railway Journeys" airing recently at 6-30pm, weekdays on BBC2.
In this programme, Michael Portillo meanders genially around the country by train with a Bradshaws train guide circa 1840, wearing some surprisingly clashing, colourful shirt/jacket combos.
When he gets off the train he chats amiably about the attractions of the time with various folks, some with rather alarming HAIRDOS.
I find it all rather restful - enough so that I quite often doze off by the end of the programme.
Much as I'd like to do the same, I fear I don't have the finances for all the train trips - let alone the pricey hotels he stays at.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Re: Recent viewing

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:16 pm

I have been watching this and thoroughly enjoying it - I love the local history and amazed at last night astounding growth of Barry and Cardiff.

I know what you mean about the haircuts...
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Sveti » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:20 pm

I've watched this from time to time, and have also enjoyed it a lot, with some fascinating facts - I find Michael Portillo has a very calming effect on me!
Sveti

Postby nannie mary » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:53 pm

We are loving it. We save up until the weekend and then watch the whole week's programmes at one session.
nannie mary

Postby LasagneMan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:08 pm

Just like to say we got into them last year. They're very enjoyable indeed. He does like a very nice class of hotel, but seems happy to try something different as well. Such as the place on the Seattle to Carlisle line in the middle of nowhere.
Was still reading the Daily Mail online to make sure I've not yet become a grumpy old man.
Then one day, I found I was screaming at the screen.
Now banned from a coffee shop :-)
LasagneMan

Postby Paradise_Alley » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:55 pm

LasagneMan wrote:Just like to say we got into them last year. They're very enjoyable indeed. He does like a very nice class of hotel, but seems happy to try something different as well. Such as the place on the Seattle to Carlisle line in the middle of nowhere.

That's a helluva train journey. :wink:
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby masquerade » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:03 pm

Thanks for the tip - have started working through the episodes on i-Player. Just watched the one that included Essex cows and the first murder on a British train.
masquerade

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:28 am

Paradise_Alley wrote:
LasagneMan wrote:Just like to say we got into them last year. They're very enjoyable indeed. He does like a very nice class of hotel, but seems happy to try something different as well. Such as the place on the Seattle to Carlisle line in the middle of nowhere.

didn't spot that typo :lol:

Just need to catch up on Fridays. 6.30 is just a bit early for us...but we watch on the I player.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby LasagneMan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:26 pm

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote:
Paradise_Alley wrote:

didn't spot that typo :lol:

Just need to catch up on Fridays. 6.30 is just a bit early for us...but we watch on the I player.

Neither did I! :D

Of course I meant Settle, not Seattle.
Was still reading the Daily Mail online to make sure I've not yet become a grumpy old man.
Then one day, I found I was screaming at the screen.
Now banned from a coffee shop :-)
LasagneMan

Postby Paradise_Alley » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:10 am

The Settle to Carlisle line is VERY NICE. I've been along there a couple of times.
I'm looking forward to tomorrow, when I understand Mr Portillo is on the Isle of Man.
Hopefully he does the electric railway there.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby Sveti » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Another wonderful programme with Mr Portillo last night, on trains through Europe. Lovely to watch and really interesting historical facts too.

Next week he goes to Hungary, should be fascinating, he's such a pleasant travel companion!
Sveti

Postby Paradise_Alley » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:16 pm

This week he's in Scotland, culminating at John O'Groats on Friday.
Presumably he ends up there by road as the nearest stations (Wick or Thurso) are a good 20 miles away.
Perhaps (like me) he regarded it as a goal to be achieved and hopefully I can stay awake for this section.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby Sagitar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:58 pm

We have a whole gaggle of them recorded and watch whenever we have a spare half hour. Wonderful stuff.
Sagitar

Postby Sveti » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Michael Portillo on again, travelling through Spain by train.

Excellent programme, again with lots of interesting facts.
Sveti

Postby Paradise_Alley » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:37 pm

A bit local to us at present.
He did Euston to Cheddington today and apparently is doing Bletchley to Newport Pagnell tomorrow.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Next

Return to Entertainment