Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreAmpthill Brewhouse

End of an era

Ampthill's beautiful and historic amenity

End of an era

Postby oceanbreeze » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:25 pm

It seem that , sadly, Philip Miller, one time owner of Ampthill Park House, has passed away and his famous collection of Teapots, which adorned several rooms is to be sold at Auction 28th September, Anderson and Garland Newcastle. That, it seems, closes the book on memories that some of us have of elegant tea parties there in the seventies.
oceanbreeze

Re: End of an era

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:07 pm

I am very sorry to hear of his death.
I remember his lavish display of Teapots from all corners of the World very well. They were a "talking point" in Ampthill.
At that time, the House had not been divided up into three dwellings. I believe Philip took the House over when all the Residents went to Agate House
because of course it was the original Cheshire Home. I know he did a lot or work restoring the House.
I wonder how the Collection will do at Auction? Will it be sold a one entity or divided up?
SCRABBLER

Postby sizzla » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:34 pm

They are being sold as separate lots.

https://www.andersonandgarland.com/The- ... y=high_low
sizzla

Postby oceanbreeze » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:08 pm

It is indeed a very sad end-----nobody could imagine the amount of work he and his wife put into recreating as much of the original as possible

feel quite priviledged to be able to share those memories with some Ampthillians.
oceanbreeze

Postby Chorradas » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:01 am

The story is in several of the national newspapers this morning, including the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... n-who-did/
Chorradas

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:11 am

oceanbreeze wrote:--nobody could imagine the amount of work he and his wife put into recreating as much of the original as possible

Well the House was in a pretty awful state when he took it over. It had been adapted to cope with almost hospital-like conditions. The Residents at that
time had great difficulty with the problems of the very large rooms they were in because of their ailments, which in some cases were dire.
It really was a shadow then of the House it became again under Philip's care.
SCRABBLER

Postby Chorradas » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:04 am

Apparently every single teapot sold in the auction to raise a total of £80,000 - twice the estimate
Chorradas

Postby Chorradas » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:31 pm

There is a story about this with photos of some of the teapots (and some posts from people on here!) on the T&C website

http://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/bedf ... -1-7607450
Chorradas

Return to Ampthill Park