Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreAmpthill Brewhouse

Garden waste collections

Latest news and views from and about our local politicians
or make a post about something you want to raise about the local Councils

Garden waste collections

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:44 pm

I see that the Council is going to stop the garden waste collection during some of the winter months. Piece in the local paper

http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/gard ... story.html
CraftsbyCarolyn

Re: Garden waste collections

Postby Moaning git » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:51 pm

Seems to make sense in these times of austerity
Moaning git

Postby Jurassic Pork » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:09 pm

Moaning git wrote:Seems to make sense in these times of austerity

Except that in these "times of austerity" I'm still paying £250+ a month council tax, not to mention income tax and all the rest. Something doesn't add up.
Jurassic Pork

Postby SCRABBLER » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:22 am

I think it probably makes sense during the Winter months, but if needs be, the Tidy Tip which seems to be really well run since the overhaul
and is much easier to use, should suffice for those who still need to dump their garden waste over the Winter period.
I presume the Council is proposing this measure in an effort to keep our local tax from rising anymore than is necessary.
With all the extra rates that they must be getting in from all the new housing coming on stream I would think they could probably keep it on a more
even keel. Certainly the Town Council should not have need of a large extra rate rise yet again this coming April.
SCRABBLER

Postby Moaning git » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:37 pm

SCRABBLER wrote:I think it probably makes sense during the Winter months, but if needs be, the Tidy Tip which seems to be really well run since the overhaul
and is much easier to use, should suffice for those who still need to dump their garden waste over the Winter period.
I presume the Council is proposing this measure in an effort to keep our local tax from rising anymore than is necessary.
With all the extra rates that they must be getting in from all the new housing coming on stream I would think they could probably keep it on a more
even keel. Certainly the Town Council should not have need of a large extra rate rise yet again this coming April.

Given the large cuts in central government funding to come, our Council Tax is only going one way and it isn't South.
Moaning git

Postby Charlie » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:30 pm

SCRABBLER wrote:if needs be, the Tidy Tip which seems to be really well run since the overhaul

What about poor people who don't own a car? And old codgers who go around on mobility scooters? How are they going to "dump their garden waste" at the Tidy Tip?
Charlie

Postby SCRABBLER » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:32 pm

Charlie wrote:old codgers who go around on mobility scooters?

Probably don't garden anyway!
I agree there is a problem for people without a car.
However, the weather is now becoming colder - the grass is not putting on any growth and any pruning should now have been more or less done.
Time for most people to have a rest from their gardens accept perhaps Monty Don and he will always find something that needs doing. :roll:
P.S: Bonfires late in the day, quietly smouldering, might be the answer. Or aren't they allowed under EU regulations?
SCRABBLER

Postby sizzla » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:53 pm

Burning garden waste is not too bad from an environmental perspective, as it only releases the CO2 fixed while the vegetation was growing. Could be a little antisocial though, depending on proximity of neighours etc.
sizzla

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:31 pm

I guess people will just put in their normal bin if it is not being collected. Especially of they only have half a sack wouldn't be worth the effort of driving to the tip, especially for those that live a reasonable distance from the tip.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Moaning git » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:33 pm

Charlie wrote:
SCRABBLER wrote:if needs be, the Tidy Tip which seems to be really well run since the overhaul

What about poor people who don't own a car? And old codgers who go around on mobility scooters? How are they going to "dump their garden waste" at the Tidy Tip?

It's a question of practicalities I'm afraid, what proportion of active gardeners in Central Beds don't own a car, not may I would wager. And I think the point of the likelihood of a mobile scooter filling several bags of garden waste has been made. Anyone able to do so, should maybe have their disability benefits investigated.
Moaning git

Return to Local Politics