Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Sex Establishment in Ampthill

The latest news and gossip about what's happening in Ampthill.

So. Sex establishment - in favour or not

Sex establishment - No way.
58%
Sex establishment - Way hey.
22%
Not bothered either way.
20%

Total votes : 55

Re: Sex Establishment in Ampthill

Postby Wigginsbottom » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:05 pm

I think someobody mentioned that this is not a Planning matter but a licensing one. I went round and round the Central Beds website trying to find a link to the application so I could comment, but couldn't find it. They don't make it easy, do they?? Anyway, I've found out that the person to contact is Pat Davies, the Licensing Officer. She has confirmed to me that you can email her your views:

patricia.davies@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk

Pass it on, everyone!

I agree with everyone that there are much better uses for these premises. Ampthill has a rich musical tradition and many local youngsters are very talented but lack opportunities to perform...so why not provide them with a venue?? They could perform for free and all their friends and maybe also proud parents/grandparents will drop in to cheer them on, while buying a glass of wine/soft drinks and light meals as appropriate.

It's a shame that John Shayler seems to have business ideas but poor PR skills - I've heard of several people comment on his aggressive attitude and foul language - does he not realise that it's not good for business? Is there a PR/Marketing consultancy in the town that could help him out??
Wigginsbottom

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:08 pm

so I have you sent off your representations yet, the closing date is 12 July. I am presuming that I can send my letter by email, and will do it tonight.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby pantomime cow » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:35 pm

Is this something anyone would really like to see in Ampthill,

It seems to me that, as always on this website, there is a lot of cant and hypocrisy being spouted about Lord Shayler's sex club. While it is perhaps not the sort of venue many of us would frequent, Ampthill has been in the news before as one of Bedfordshire's favourite "dogging" venues and rumour has it that wife-swapping is rife behind the twitching lace curtains among some of the supposedly respectable middle-class couples living on our newer estates - Ailesbury Road and Tavistock Avenue areas are just two of those that have been mentioned. At least Lord Shayler is upfront about his intentions and doesn't hide behind a thin veneer of "respectability". Isn't that preferable to the holier-than-thou mentality of some of our citizens who toss their car keys into the "lucky bag" at a seedy wife-swapping party on a Saturday night and then swan off to church on Sunday morning pretending to be something they are most patently not? I wonder what Jesus would say.
pantomime cow

Postby maccum » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:24 am

pantomime cow wrote:
Is this something anyone would really like to see in Ampthill,

It seems to me that, as always on this website, there is a lot of cant and hypocrisy being spouted about Lord Shayler's sex club-----Isn't that preferable to the holier-than-thou mentality of some of our citizens who toss their car keys into the "lucky bag" at a seedy wife-swapping party on a Saturday night and then swan off to church on Sunday morning pretending to be something they are most patently not? I wonder what Jesus would say.

LOL, he would probably say this MR PC, and most likely in a very gentle voice...

3And why behold the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but consider not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4 Or how will thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? 5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
Matthew 7:3-5

and you would take notice and stop writing such contentious waffle...
maccum

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:03 pm

I really do not know what Jesus would say - and I am sure that if I look hard enough in the Bible I could find another verse which would counter the one re - Motes and Beams. However, this is not a biblical matter. Whatever one's personal views, I am sure it must be right, that the our historical Town Centre is worth more than a seedy Sex Establishment. AND THAT MY FRIENDS IS THE REAL POINT. :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby maccum » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:43 pm

I think the real point is that lap dancing is exploitative and therefore undesirable in any town, whether historic or not.
maccum

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Wigginsbottom wrote:I think someobody mentioned that this is not a Planning matter but a licensing one. I went round and round the Central Beds website trying to find a link to the application so I could comment, but couldn't find it. They don't make it easy, do they?? Anyway, I've found out that the person to contact is Pat Davies, the Licensing Officer. She has confirmed to me that you can email her your views:

patricia.davies@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk

Pass it on, everyone!

I agree with everyone that there are much better uses for these premises. Ampthill has a rich musical tradition and many local youngsters are very talented but lack opportunities to perform...so why not provide them with a venue?? They could perform for free and all their friends and maybe also proud parents/grandparents will drop in to cheer them on, while buying a glass of wine/soft drinks and light meals as appropriate.

It's a shame that John Shayler seems to have business ideas but poor PR skills - I've heard of several people comment on his aggressive attitude and foul language - does he not realise that it's not good for business? Is there a PR/Marketing consultancy in the town that could help him out??

Here are the details:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6945&start=15#p48028

I have sent something to the email mentioned.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:52 pm

So Maccum, if lap dancing wasn't exploitive you would'nt really mind having a Sex Establishment in the Town Centre despite your biblical jibe. GET A GRIP!! :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby maccum » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:15 pm

SCRABBLER wrote:if lap dancing wasn't exploitive you would'nt really mind having a Sex Establishment in the Town Centre despite your biblical jibe. GET A GRIP!!

It is wasn't exploitative, then it wouldn't be a sex establishment, keep up!!!
maccum

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Rubbish, you don't necessarily have to have lap dancing to make it a Sex Establishment. The term "S.E". covers a variety uses. Anyway, if you read the letters in BOS you will have seen a letter from a Lap Dancer who proclaimed it was not exploitative to ply her beguiling attributes on a pole. But I still think you are missing the real point, which is outlined by the many contributors to this subject on this Forum. :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby maccum » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:15 pm

?
maccum

Postby nannie mary » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:04 pm

My word !!!! this man is sure getting a lot of free publicity. My guess is that it is just a wind-up.
nannie mary

Postby maccum » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:34 pm

Wish it was a wind up but I think the application fees are such that it would make it quite an expensive joke, and he already has a similar club. Just in case anyone is wondering what might be covered with a sexual entertainment licence here's a run down - (Central Beds website)

Changes in legislation introduced a new category of sex establishment known as a "sexual entertainment venue" (SEV). This gives Local Authorities powers to control the number and location of lap dancing clubs and similar venues. Your Licensing Authority may also have adopted its own policy to regulate SEV’s in its area. If one is in place then you will need to ensure that you comply with this also.

A sexual entertainment venue is described as "any premises at which relevant entertainment is provided before a live audience for the financial gain of the organiser or entertainer". "Relevant entertainment" is described as "any live performance or live display of nudity which is of such a nature that, ignoring financial gain, it must reasonably be assumed to be provided solely or principally for the purpose of sexually stimulating any member of an audience (whether by verbal or other means)". An audience can consist of just one person.

Sexual entertainment venues (SEV’s) are those that provide forms of entertainment such as

Lap dancing
Pole dancing
Table dancing
Strip shows
Peep shows
Live sex shows

Doesn't sound very Disney to me!!
maccum

Postby Paradise_Alley » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:34 pm

I've added a POLL/POLE for this matter.
To jest pieprzone rondo!