Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Being Old

The latest news and gossip about what's happening in Ampthill.

Being Old

Postby SCRABBLER » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:34 pm

I am sure there are subscribers to this site who feel like I do - that being old is a sin.
Those of us who have passed a certain age are being villified for reaching a ripe old age. We are told we are "bed blockers". We are not down-sizing quickly
enough for the younger generation's likes. Now we have a Liberal Politician saying that we voted for Brexit because we wanted blue passports again and only
white faces in the country. What nonsense it all is!!!

Age is something nobody can avoid if they live long enough. Science has made medication and hospital procedures so advanced since the Health Service came into being it is for sure that most people will live into their late 80's or 90's. The fact that successive Governments haven't taken this on board and made allowances for it, is not the fault of the aged. Bedford Hospital used to have a Convelesant Home in Aspley Guise where people could for a period to be rehabilitated after hospitalisation. It was sold. They also closed Steppingley Hospital, so it's no wonder they have bed blocking. And I am sure this happened elsewhere.

I have lived in my home for 54 years. Is it my fault that house prices have risen and that it now worth a silly price? Why should I move? Simply because it might be more convenient for someone else?

And I did not vote Brexit because I wanted a Blue Passport or to see more white faces. I voted Brexit because I have lived through a War and I wanted my Country to be it's own Master again. We joined a Common Market of 6 countries, which has turned into a conglomeration of 27 countries which was becoming sufocating with rules and regulations, some of which made no sense. I just felt enough was enough and by the way I was not against immigration. So old I may be, but bowed I am not. So please stop blaming the old for all the problems of the Health Service, Housing and Brexit on us.
SCRABBLER

Re: Being Old

Postby oceanbreeze » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:12 pm

Once again Scrabbler, you have hit the nail on the head. Moving house at our age is should be by choice and probably driven by a desire to have a small and easy to run house and garden in a less hectic environment!!
oceanbreeze

Postby sizzla » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:32 pm

SCRABBLER wrote:I voted Brexit ... please stop blaming the old for all the problems of the Health Service, Housing and Brexit on us.

I'm not sure why people who voted for Brexit shouldn't be blamed for Brexit. You are right about the rest of it though.
sizzla

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:15 am

sizzla wrote:
SCRABBLER wrote:I voted Brexit ... please stop blaming the old for all the problems of the Health Service, Housing and Brexit on us.

I'm not sure why people who voted for Brexit shouldn't be blamed for Brexit. You are right about the rest of it though.

I agree, Brexit must be the fault of those that voted to be out, it had to be the whole thing, not just little bits not liked.

The rest I agree there is a problem with the aging population. the biggest problem is the elderly need to be in a place where they can be kept safe, but do not need extensive care, there seems no provision for that. Convalescing following an illness does seem to be a problem, both my mother and MiL have been in community hospitals in somerset and W sussex, and I can't fault the NHS, and the care that followed. But now we don't know what to do, a care home seems to intensive, but no other option if you want someone to be near over night.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby mickmc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:50 am

I'm not sure what people mean when they say "stop blaming us for Brexit" when you voted for it - who else would people blame ?
mickmc

Postby louise » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:55 am

The interest in the extra care housing complex at wixams has been enormous. There is such a need for this type of housing to enable people to choose to live independently but with help at hand if needed. There are now 2 75 bed care homes being built in the area opening next spring.

I agree with the comments that if you voted for Brexit then part of this is now taking responsibility to guide the younger population through the process. They will be livubg with it for the rest of thier Iives and mostly fail to see or hear anything but the negatives.
louise

Postby SCRABBLER » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:35 am

mickmc wrote:I'm not sure what people mean when they say "stop blaming us for Brexit" when you voted for it - who else would people blame ?

My point was that "the old"are being vilifed and blamed by the Liberal Politician for voting to come out of the EU. Does he not think that some of
the middle-aged and the young also voted that way? There is surely not 17 million (or whatever the figure was) only old people that voted for Brexit.
It really is such a lot of nonsense. We were all asked the question on the ballot paper, you either said yes or no regardless of age. But now there seems
to be a witchhunt against those who voted No - and they all supposed to be the old. Rubbish!!
SCRABBLER

Postby Charlie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:20 pm

Talk of "blaming" people for Brexit strikes me as being extremely pejorative – and arrogant. It implies that those voters did something terribly wrong, and that voting to leave the EU was either an act of gross stupidity or malicious insolence for which they should either seek repentance or be severely punished by the "right-thinking" members of our community. Orwell really couldn't make it up! In reality all those people did (misguided or not) was exercise their democratic right – something the pen-pushing bureaucrats in Brussels do not appear particularly keen on. What's more I suspect that if similar referendums were held in many other EU countries, then, rightly or wrongly in the eyes of the Guardianistas among us, there would be similar results.
Charlie

Postby mickmc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:37 am

SCRABBLER wrote:
mickmc wrote:I'm not sure what people mean when they say "stop blaming us for Brexit" when you voted for it - who else would people blame ?

My point was that "the old"are being vilifed and blamed by the Liberal Politician for voting to come out of the EU. Does he not think that some of
the middle-aged and the young also voted that way? There is surely not 17 million (or whatever the figure was) only old people that voted for Brexit.
It really is such a lot of nonsense. We were all asked the question on the ballot paper, you either said yes or no regardless of age. But now there seems
to be a witchhunt against those who voted No - and they all supposed to be the old. Rubbish!!

Scrabbler
I quite agree with you - I voted to remain because I think we are stronger when we are part of a bigger unit and I think it gives the younger generation more opportunity in the future. It annoys me when the older generation are singled out for Brexit - I am 61 and voted to remain my son and his girlfriend both voted to leave. I strongly believe that now that the vote has been taken then we should get on with it but alas with Corbyn and the others changing their views when it suits them it may be some time before it happens !
mickmc

Postby Hammer64 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:44 pm

Although I am an octogenarian, I am still shocked that, thanks to the vote of the elderly, there has been a Leave vote. Almost without exception, all my associates who voted Leave have an awful xenophobic attitude. One person stated that “I am fed up of being told what to do by the EU”. When asked for three examples, he went totally blank! Did he object to EU directives making sure that our beaches were clear of human sewerage? Maybe he regretted not being able to buy cheap imported chlorinated chicken from the USA.+

It was a victory for shallow emotional ignorance. “I voted Leave because the Blacks are destroying our culture”. “I voted Leave to poke one in the eye of the bankers”. “I Voted Leave because of all the Pakistanis in Bradford”.

Do Leavers really believe that, as Liam Fox preaches, our future major trading partners will be Mexico and the Philippines, rather than the EU bloc?

Unfortunately, the pensioners who have landed the UK in this dreadful Moment of Madness scenario will be gone and buried before the economic disaster erupts.
Hammer64

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:00 pm

someone told me they voted leave as the EU were stopping the fast boiling electric kettles, as they had already put a stop to vacuum cleaners...

...so very odd that people voted on such a large decision on trivialities

hey ho......
I blame the Daily Mail and Boris

:ba
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby SCRABBLER » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Hammer64 wrote:Unfortunately, the pensioners who have landed the UK in this dreadful Moment of Madness

This, coming from a a self-confessed octongenarian, I find quite disgraceful. You really should know better than to espouse such complete rubbish.

As far as I am aware all those who vote in elections and referendums do so subject to being on the Electoral Register and do so in private at the ballot box. How would anyone really know that it was ONLY pensioners voted for Brexit? Because someone said so on television or some newspaper who favoured Remaining made it a Headline. If you really want to blame someone, why not point a finger at those who could have voted but didn't.
SCRABBLER

Postby louise » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:01 pm

The demographics of the brexit voting are widely available on line. Increased age, social class and education were all had strong correlation for voting to leave.

Quite what they were voting for and the evidence base for that only they can say. It was a mess then and frankly a bigger one now. Here's hoping thing's turn out much better than predicted.
louise

Postby Hammer64 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:45 pm

I never stated that "ONLY pensioners voted for Brexit". However, all post-referendum analyses conclude that it was the high percentage of pensioners voting Leave that decided the outcome. The working population voted Remain.

On two occasions I have been a third-party bystander, overhearing a Leave voter uttering vitriolic abuse against the EU and Europeans, which made me ashamed to be British. Not unsurprisingly, they were both pensioners.
Hammer64

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:22 pm

I have to say I only know my elderly parents that voted leave....who have limited knowledge of the working world, and believe we will be back to how we left things in the 70s. And have also not travelled to the UK in 30 years

My father assumed all the 'silly' laws would just go, and we would top the eu spending. He had no wider vision that laws would still need to exist that had been adopted in the last 40 years, and lots of the eu spending in the UK would have to continue, but we would have to administer it within the UK...so there would still be a cost.
I don't think he gave it a thought that we would maybe not be able to trade the same within the eu..as he says they will still need our things....

He certainly didnt think about working in the eu, and weirdly as they spend a lot of time in hospital he gave no thought about how they are staffed....
CraftsbyCarolyn

Next

Return to What's Happening