Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

McCarthy and Stone to come to Ampthill

What do you think of recent and planned developments in and around Ampthill?

Re: McCarthy and Stone to come to Ampthill

Postby scorpio611 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:29 pm

Anyone visiting the M&S exhibition recently would have found that - M&S do not yet own the site, they have a financial first refusal - there is minimal on-site parking as "the average age of occupants in their new developments is 79 years old", and that they have no intention of upping the parking provision.
scorpio611

Postby Jurassic Pork » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:21 pm

I'm sure that a lack of parking will not prevent planning being approved. The Rugby club got two new pitches approved despite the inevitable snarl ups along there on Sundays. And the development of The Limes got approved despite it taking away loads of parking spaces that were available to the public after hours and at weekends.
Jurassic Pork

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:32 am

Jurassic Pork wrote:I'm sure that a lack of parking will not prevent planning being approved. The Rugby club got two new pitches approved despite the inevitable snarl ups along there on Sundays. And the development of The Limes got approved despite it taking away loads of parking spaces that were available to the public after hours and at weekends.

I went by there the other Sunday and was amazed at the amount of cars parked, for such tiny place, they were everywhere, I guess I don;t go that way very often on a Sunday is it always like that or was there more of an event on?
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby masquerade » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:14 pm

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote:
Jurassic Pork wrote:I'm sure that a lack of parking will not prevent planning being approved. The Rugby club got two new pitches approved despite the inevitable snarl ups along there on Sundays. And the development of The Limes got approved despite it taking away loads of parking spaces that were available to the public after hours and at weekends.

I went by there the other Sunday and was amazed at the amount of cars parked, for such tiny place, they were everywhere, I guess I don;t go that way very often on a Sunday is it always like that or was there more of an event on?

I went along there yesterday and cars were parked on both verges -- not good for traffic flow or the verges!
masquerade

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:30 am

It should be no surprise that McCarthy and Stone have not yet purchased the site. They are seeing whether there would be a local demand for their
building directly it is finished. I suspect that the site will be pricey because of the buildings already on it which will have to be demolished as they are
probably incapable of being used for this particular project, and they will wish to recoup fairly swiftly. With regard to the parking. I think this might well be
a concern seeing that many people over the age of 79 still drive cars and would still wish to retain them, certainly for a while after they take up residence.
I was unable to get along to their Preview. Would anyone who did, like to say how they felt about the proposals (other than the parking)?
I saw no mention of it in the local "rags".
SCRABBLER

Postby Chorradas » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:30 pm

SCRABBLER wrote: With regard to the parking. I think this might well be
a concern seeing that many people over the age of 79 still drive cars and would still wish to retain them, certainly for a while after they take up residence.

Not only will they probably have cars but presumably (hopefully, anyway) they will have plenty of visitors. But I doubt that will be taken into account. Our local councillors don't seem very good at joined-up thinking.
Chorradas

Postby Moaning git » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:05 pm

Let's have no development in Ampthill whatsoever, that will stop cars coming in, next we could close the shops and restaurants no need to worry about traffic then. And as for that disgraceful rugby club, providing good healthy outdoor activity for over 400 kids of all ages on a Sunday, let's get that miscreant activity stopped straight away, what's wrong with kids staying indoors and playing x box all day.

In fact let's just close the entire road network in Ampthill, traffic problem solved.
Moaning git

Postby jacq » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:54 pm

I think everyone is fearful of change, and that the town they grew up or moved into has changed big time.

However, a big concern of mine is not that these things happen is that there is no consideration of the effect it will have on both new residents and existing, everything else must be improved or changed to fit in with these developments such as increased/adequate parking, doctors and school places, roads with adequate access.

Most of the new housing estates now have very little parking and tiny roads, and the doctors seem to be at capacity and have no room for expansion in their existing sites without taking parking away, and that is sometimes quite ridiculous.

so there should be investment in these type of things as soon as the houses start selling, rather than 2 or 3 years down the line.
jacq

Postby louise » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:29 pm

McCarthy and stone or any care home company will always include demolition costs into account. There is little market demand in adapting buildings, as they rarely work well for people with disabilities. With all apartments comes 1 parking space, plus a few visitors spaces. There is one in Hitchen town centre that works very well. There is no doubt it will be popular as demand in this sector is high & Mc&S are expanding rapidly. I for one really hope it goes ahead. There is no provision like this in central Bedfordshire.
louise

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:09 pm

I see that there is an entire 'village' going up at the Wixams, signs are up

http://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/trus ... -1-5798537

http://www.extracare.org.uk/wixams-village/

As I am getting to that time of life, it is pleasing to see I have some options available.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Previous

Return to Ampthill Development