Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Yet more houses ....

What do you think of recent and planned developments in and around Ampthill?

Yet more houses ....

Postby Chorradas » Sun May 29, 2016 3:51 pm

Chorradas

Re: Yet more houses ....

Postby SCRABBLER » Mon May 30, 2016 11:07 am

I do hope that our Town Council and our District Councillors make strong representations against most of the proposals that seem
to be coming forward for more housing in and around Ampthill. In ten years time, Flitwick and Ampthill will
be just one big commuter area for London with no defining line between either Town.
The Wixams is not nearly finished yet and building is only just starting from the Kempston Hardwicke
side of the development. I should have thought that, taking the County as a whole, Bedfordshire is doing it's bit
to accommodate the rising population including taking in many from the outer reaches of London.
SCRABBLER

Postby sizzla » Tue May 31, 2016 9:49 am

It's not really news. The largest plot of land on that map, between Ampthill and Maulden, has been zoned for housing for years. Other plots are put up by land owners hopefully of a quick windfall but no chance they'll all be developed any time soon.
sizzla

Postby SCRABBLER » Tue May 31, 2016 10:16 am

sizzla wrote:Other plots are put up by land owners hopefully of a quick windfall but no chance they'll all be developed any time soon.

I wouldn't like to take any bets on that statement!!
You may be right Sizzla, but in my rather long experience that has not been the case. I can remember when planning for housing was sought along
the By=Pass by Station Road down towards DoLittle's and it was turned down time and time again - BUT ..... you can see what has happened now.
Also at the back of Lammas Way. That field between the back of the houses running around Redborne School = turned down many times, but is now
being built on. Just give it time!!
SCRABBLER

Postby Chorradas » Tue May 31, 2016 5:48 pm

sizzla wrote: no chance they'll all be developed any time soon.

Hmmm, maybe not "all" or "soon". But perhaps "most" and "eventually". Many people still think of Ampthill's population as "about 7,500", which is what Wikipedia says. But according to Central Beds Council's latest figures it increased by 5 per cent between 2011 and 2013 to stand at 12,500. Many more houses have been built since then. And when all the current developments are finished, the total is probably going to be at least 15,000, or twice what Wikipedia says. Not such a small town any more.
Chorradas

Postby sizzla » Tue May 31, 2016 7:48 pm

You can edit Wikipedia. That's the whole point of it.
sizzla

Postby Chorradas » Tue May 31, 2016 8:21 pm

sizzla wrote:You can edit Wikipedia. That's the whole point of it.

Wow, we didn't know that, Sizzla. But you seem to be rather missing the point. Which is that Ampthill's population has grown rapidly over recent years – and looks like it will continue doing so. Some people no doubt think that is a jolly good thing.
Chorradas

Postby oceanbreeze » Tue May 31, 2016 9:35 pm

I am sure that Scrabbler will join me in remembering the days when the population of Ampthill was to stop at about 6,000!!
oceanbreeze

Postby Costalot » Tue May 31, 2016 9:36 pm

Hmmm, maybe not "all" or "soon". But perhaps "most" and "eventually". Many people still think of Ampthill's population as "about 7,500", which is what Wikipedia says. But according to Central Beds Council's latest figures it increased by 5 per cent between 2011 and 2013 to stand at 12,500. Many more houses have been built since then. And when all the current developments are finished, the total is probably going to be at least 15,000, or twice what Wikipedia says. Not such a small town any more.

Doesn't the figure you're quoting of 12,500 also include Maulden and Clophill? That's how I read the information on the Council website ;-()
Costalot

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:40 am

oceanbreeze wrote:I am sure that Scrabbler will join me in remembering the days when the population of Ampthill was to stop at about 6,000!!

Absolutely right Oceanbreeze. When I came to live here in '64 the population was somewhat less, but by '70 is was just 6,000.
The only building going on when we came to Ampthill was the Holland Road Estate and the few houses in Lea Road, and it virtually stayed at that
for around five years or so, when Russell Drive started to be built.
SCRABBLER

Return to Ampthill Development