Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Moving to Ampthill

What do you think of recent and planned developments in and around Ampthill?

Re: Moving to Ampthill

Postby MrsJoyful » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:41 am

Hello again everyone. Does anyone know if there are yoga classes in town? Also, husband is keen cyclist - there are some lovely rides around the area - does anyone know anything about the local cycling club? Thanks :ba
MrsJoyful

Postby louise » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:06 am

Lots of yoga and Pilates classes and there is a private small fitness studio in flitwick that does both if you don't fancy joining the council owned Flitwick leisure center. As for cycling - Central Bedfordshire council website has lots of cycle routes. There are also mountain biking and road biking clubs based in the town. Lots of men who like to get muddy or wear Lycra on 2 wheels round here!

The ampthill Facebook page has lots of info and the Parkside Hall website is very good. If you are around on 6th July then come along to the gala day in town. Lots of the local clubs will have stalls or info of what they do on display.

On a separate note - a frmsle friend has recently applied to join the wingfield club..... She says it's very genteel and friendly and she is awaiting her interview with the commitee to agree her membership. No riff raff allowed :-)
louise

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:02 pm

It used to be the old sun where the bikers were, no idea if they are still going they used to post on here and had a blog:

http://bikesbeerbanter.blogspot.co.uk/ - no longer written but still has some links

Also this with some links:

http://ampthillmountainbikers.blogspot.co.uk/

did find this:

http://www.ampthillveloclub.co.uk/
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby MrsJoyful » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:50 pm

thank you so much, everyone. That's all v helpful ))
MrsJoyful

Postby MrsJoyful » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:59 am

hello again to everyone :P We are now the (very) proud owners of 39 Church Street :ba
We've moved from a slightly larger house (in Shenley, near St Albans...) and will have to part with a very large number of much-loved books. No room for them :cry: Heartbreaking but necessary :( Any ideas about what we could do with them? There'll be a couple of hundred I think. Mr Joyful wondered if we could put them (in batches) on a table outside the house and invite people to help themselves, but I think the council would not be impressed...
Inspired ideas welcome :D
MrsJoyful

Postby Deniselydon » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:14 am

Hello ...There are 3 charity shops in Ampthill I am sure they would be very pleased with them I have given loads to the RSPCA in Ampthill after my Father died He was some what a bit of a hoarder bless him Alison the lady in the RSPCA shop came & pick up from my home Also if you would like to drop some off between 3-5 or over the weekend I will put them in our shop Ampthill Carpets just past Waitrose next to Hillside car sales Welcome to Ampthill Denise xx
Deniselydon

Postby MrsJoyful » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:18 am

Oh that's great advice- thank you :) I think it's going to take us a while to get to the stage of unpacking the books - then the painful process of culling:( Still trying to work out a sensible way of deciding which ones to sacrifice! So could be a while before they leave Church Street.....

Thanks again
MrsJoyful

Postby louise » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:42 pm

Hello and welcome!
There is also a charity stall on the market every Thursday in aid of Keech cottage which is our local adult and childrens hospice. The ladies on the stall will come and collect. Alternatively you can take them down in batches, or drop them off at the Keech hospice shop which is opposite Tesco's in flitwick
louise

Postby oceanbreeze » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:55 pm

Welcome from one downsizer to another!!! Books are my headache too---however they are being slowly dispatched as above, also to The National Trust they take second hand books at Wimpole,& Claydon.

If you need to boost up the piggy bank then I can recommend Tring Market Auctions --Brook Street Ting HP23 5ED often featured on Flog it and with the lowest commission rate around this area. Downer Ross in Woburn hold monthly Saturday auctions but very high commission.
oceanbreeze

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:20 pm

I have been taking books to charity stall also in batches. Gave some to a jumble sale that someone contacted on here, see the a bay section on this forum. Tried freecycle, but no one wanted them. I think they are getting harder to get rid of, I just have too many and I really don't use them like I used to, tend to use the internet and download books.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby MrsJoyful » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:47 pm

Quick hello to everyone :) We've moved in at last - and enjoying Ampthill so much. Already a Waitrose frequent flyer :ba Can't find the gas meter, but it has to be here somewhere...! Anyone have any experience of book groups? I've never joined one before..are there any in the town?
MrsJoyful

Postby louise » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:28 pm

Loads ! The libaray has a list of those registered them. Alternativèly try the FB page for the literary festival as the organisers all belong to or run book groups.
louise

Postby MrsJoyful » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:40 pm

on the book club thing, popped into the library this afternoon to ask about book clubs in town. But it seems all the book clubs are full up and none is taking new members :( anybody know if that's really the case? Though why would the lovely lady in the library make it up!? Hey ho.
MrsJoyful

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:59 pm

I used to belong to a group it was set up by a friend and we just used to visit other peoples homes - so was restricted to how many people you were happy to have in your house. I wonder if they have anyone on a waiting list - you could set up your own if that was the case.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:34 am

Wondered how you were getting on in ampthill?
CraftsbyCarolyn

Previous

Return to Ampthill Development