Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Center Parcs

What do you think of recent and planned developments in and around Ampthill?

Re: Center Parcs

Postby masquerade » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:51 pm

CP was featured on BBC Breakfast this morning -- the caption said "Woburn, Bedfordshire" simple mistake I guess!

They apparently had 11000 applications for 1500 jobs -- or did I hear it wrong?
masquerade

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:48 pm

A friend of mine mentioned it, not a morning person so I didn't see it, but it was on again tonight. Looked like a lot of building still to be done.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:57 am

C.C. I am sure they said Woburn Bedforshire. because Centre Parcs are advertising as "Woburn Centre Parcs".
For anyone wanting to come for a break might well think they are actually ending up in Woburn, near Woburn Abbey. How misleading is that?? :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby Sveti » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:12 pm

Spoke to a couple of Centerparc builders the other day, and they told me they were way behind with construction. Suppose all the wet weather made a difference?
Sveti

Postby TheMightyOz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:49 pm

SCRABBLER wrote: For anyone wanting to come for a break might well think they are actually ending up in Woburn, near Woburn Abbey. How misleading is that?? :AA

To be fair, it is near Woburn and the Abbey. Only a short bike ride. Seems like a sensible marketing ploy to me. People would much rather go to "Center Parcs Woburn Forest" than "Center Parcs A*se End of Flitwick" :)

And if airports as far away as Oxford can get away with shoving London into their name, I don't think the 5 miles between Center Parcs and Woburn is a big deal.
TheMightyOz

Postby dungargon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:31 pm

masquerade wrote:"Only 1 hour from London" says the advert --

Sounds familiar....

OneHour.JPG

Hope being an hour away isn't the only reason to go though :)
dungargon

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:38 am

Yes, they keep plugging it on ITV Ads. But, if you look at the Job Section of the local rag, they can't get people to cover all the vacancies. I notice they are not
paying more than the basic wage for most the the jobs.
They have also been receiving a lot of flack over their charges, which seem to go up considerably, when the children are on holiday, and go down in Term time. :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby sizzla » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:49 am

SCRABBLER wrote:They have also been receiving a lot of flack over their charges, which seem to go up considerably, when the children are on holiday, and go down in Term time. :AA

It's market forces. I don't understand where parents think this argument is going - is the government supposed to step in and subsidise their holidays?
sizzla

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:59 am

sizzla wrote:It's market forces. I don't understand where parents think this argument is going - is the government supposed to step in and subsidise their holidays?

I don't think anyone wants a subsidy - just a level tariff. Which it would seem, at the moment, there isn't.
SCRABBLER

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:03 pm

SCRABBLER wrote:They have also been receiving a lot of flack over their charges, which seem to go up considerably, when the children are on holiday, and go down in Term time. :AA

Isn't that what every place does? that is why people try to take kids out of school to go on holiday.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby SCRABBLER » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:12 am

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote:Isn't that what every place does? that is why people try to take kids out of school to go on holiday.

It seems that, according to the local rag, that when parents do take their children on holiday in Term time, they get fined.
Parents can't win, can they?
SCRABBLER

Postby sizzla » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:58 am

Well, I think people are going into this with their eyes open. Only the stupidest people could start a family these days without knowing that it's going to decimate their finances.
sizzla

Postby pantomime cow » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:05 pm

sizzla wrote: Only the stupidest people could start a family these days without knowing that it's going to decimate their finances.

Not if you live in Benefits Street.
pantomime cow

Postby Paradise_Alley » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:44 am

As I don't have any little darlings I take all my holidays in school term time and not for financial reasons.
I did **** up last year however as where I stayed in HIGH SUMMER was full of pubescent, Russian students who made an astonishing amount of noise and advanced like an army everywhere they went, generally pissing people off.
Probably practice for later life in their case.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby pantomime cow » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:41 am

Paradise_Alley wrote:where I stayed in HIGH SUMMER was full of pubescent, Russian students who made an astonishing amount of noise and advanced like an army everywhere they went, generally pissing people off.
Probably practice for later life in their case.

Yesterday Georgia, today Ukraine, tomorrow Ampthill? Russian submarines making their way down the Sweet Briar?
pantomime cow

PreviousNext

Return to Ampthill Development