Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Swaffield Close

What do you think of recent and planned developments in and around Ampthill?

Swaffield Close

Postby pantomime cow » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:33 am

Reading through the planning application bumph for this new development of 36 houses on the site of the former allotments behind Swaffield Close, I was puzzled by the "Method of Travel to Work" table compiled from the 2001 Census. This lists the various ways that Ampthill people travel to work – car, walk, bus, train, etc – and not surprisingly (on first glance, anyway) these different totals add up to 100 per cent. But ... 0.1 per cent of the total say they travel to work by Underground. Now maths has never been my strongest point and perhaps I am being a tad stupid, so hopefully somebody with a better understanding of these things can explain. But as the nearest Underground station is, say, some 30 miles away, these people must also take another form of transport.Therefore the totals for different methods of transport must add up to more than 100 per cent because many London-bound commuters will use three different methods of transport - car/bus/cycle to Flitwick station, train to London, Tube/bus/taxi to the office. As the figures in the table only add up to 100 per cent, surely they must therefore be false?
pantomime cow

Re: Swaffield Close

Postby sizzla » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Intriguing. Can you provide a link to the "bumph" so we can have a look?

0.1% using the underground sounds very low to me. According to Wikipedia about 13% of workers in Ampthill commute to London. It's hard to believe that less than 1% of these then use the tube.
sizzla

Postby oceanbreeze » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Could it be that those 0.15% claiming to travel by underground have obviously misunderstood/mis -answered the question without realising that they have to use a form of transport from Ampthill to the train and then the underground :conf
oceanbreeze

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:34 pm

there is a copy of the form here:

https://www.census.ac.uk/Documents/Cens ... sehold.pdf

it states

How do you usually travel to work, tick the box for the longest part, by distance, of your usual journey to work.

Not sure how anyone would still think it was the tube, perhaps they did bike - train - bike - tube!

I notice that Swaffield Close that having been fenced off last year has just stayed the same, are they having problems with the planning app?
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby SCRABBLER » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:40 pm

If it's allotment land, they would have to give the Holders probably 12 months notice, depending on their agreements. This land was owned by the Woburn Estates so the agreements would be different to Town Council allotment land and their Holders. Hence no action on the land for some considerable time. I presume that is what you are referring to?

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote:I notice that Swaffield Close that having been fenced off last year has just stayed the same, are they having problems with the planning app?
SCRABBLER

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:06 am

the plans are here:

http://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/portal/index.asp

CB/12/04411

a shed load of reading.....36 residential properties by Croudace Homes

I think this is the site layout latest:
http://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/p ... dex=477802
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:09 am

I see that is has taken a long time to get to this stage! previous threads:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2249&p=22830

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5000&p=47611
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:24 am

Thank you for the info C.C. I am sure the fact that the land had been allotments for many years, has meant a much longer period to get to the point of planning and design, to say nothing of Planning Approval. I think I am right in saying that originally, some considerable time ago, they only wanted to put about 8 dwellings on the land. I must say I am surprised to hear that it has risen to something like 36. :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby pantomime cow » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:32 pm

I wonder if anybody has actually counted the number of new houses that have been built in Ampthill recent years or are in the pipeline to be built - and then estimated by what percentage they will increase the town's population.

The Ampthill Heights and Greensand Woods developments are huge. And yet no money seems to be going in to improve the town's infrastructure. Apart perhaps from the zebra crossing in Woburn Street.
pantomime cow

Postby EcclesCake » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Swaffield close development been underway for a couple of weeks now.

Access to the Park from the top of Park Hill has been closed off.

nice to see progress as the site was suffering from fly tipping of garden rubbish.

About time Park Hill had a make over its looking a complete mess which is shame as its one of the older areas of Ampthill.
EcclesCake

Postby louise » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Once the fencing for the new houses is removed it will look much better. And they repair the grit bin that a lorry run over. And people stopped using it as a free long stay car park.
louise

Postby EcclesCake » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:04 pm

EcclesCake

Postby oceanbreeze » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:38 pm

Where do they get name Saxon from--it does not seem to quite fit with the usual Ampthill names---?
oceanbreeze

Postby sizzla » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:27 am

The should call it like it is: "High density extension to Swaffield Close".
sizzla

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:16 am

EcclesCake wrote:development known as Saxon Grange

Somebody should have done their history and called if Tudor (Close - Grange, whatever). Or has that name been used elsewhere in the Town?
After all, Henry VIII was supposed to have hunted in Ampthill Park. The land was, of course, part of the Park at one time.
What about KING'S GRANGE? (or Close)
I am not sure that Ampthill has ever really been linked with the Saxons, but I could be wrong about that. :AA
SCRABBLER

Next

Return to Ampthill Development