Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Infants School

Memories of Ampthill....
or maybe trying to trace an old friend or relative
...any local history in fact

Infants School

Postby Gally » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi all,

I am a newbie here, and need a little help in finding out what happened to the infant school I attended from 1963 to 1967 in Flitwick Road, Ampthill. I have looked on Google maps at street level, I have found Russel School and Redbourne, but cannot locate the infants. I suspect it has either been pulled down or redeveloped. Part of the problem is that I cannot remember how far from Oliver Street it was! I live in Sussex now, and to save me a long drive, any help would be appreciated! My thanks,

Tony.
Gally

Re: Infants School

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:00 pm

sorry I wasn't here in 67 as am 'new' to the area. There is the Firs which is off station road not sure when it was built and if it was always called that.

There are some old photos see 'memory lane' user for his links - there maybe even a picture.

I am sure someone will know.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby nannie mary » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:36 pm

The school you knew has been demolished. It was where Lavender Court is now. (Sheltered accommodation).

My daughter was there from 1961 when she was 5 and because we lived in Oliver Street (opposite the fire station) she did not have to cross the road and so from day two she insisted ongoing on her own and would NOT be accompanied.!!

The school used to be known as the Pie (Pye) factory during the war I believe. I vaguely remember it as a concrete building.

Let me know if there is anything else I can find out. Daughter's name was Anne Wilson
nannie mary

Postby masquerade » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:44 pm

i have looked on the Ampthill Images website and there are photos of a concrete building called "Pie Place" -

go here:

http://www.ampthillimages.com/

Click on Buildings and then Buildings P - R

©Copyright Ampthill Images 2004/2010
masquerade

Postby Gally » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:06 pm

My thanks to CraftsbyCarolyn, nannie mary and masquerade for your replies!

Thats the one! Pie Place! Seeing that photo brought back so many memories of everything from Miss Bradbury and Miss Goodwin to wax crayons and making christmas lanterns.

Great help from you all!

I will continue as a registered member (from out of the area) in case anything else springs to mind.

I dont remember Anne Wilson as she was years two years ahead of me.

I lived on Hill Farm in Maulden, where my father worked as a labourer until 1971 when we upped sticks and moved to Sussex by the sea where I am now.

Thanks again all, take care, Tony.
Gally

Postby sizzla » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:45 pm

Wow, I'm generally all for conserving old buildings, but this one wasn't much of a looker was it? It has a rather agricultural feel, but I'm sure it made absolutely no difference to the quality of teaching or the student experience.
sizzla

Return to Days gone by....