Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Ampthill in the 60s

Memories of Ampthill....
or maybe trying to trace an old friend or relative
...any local history in fact

Ampthill in the 60s

Postby Belsmum » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:39 am

I was a student Nursery Nurse at Clevedon in the early 60s.

I would love to get in touch with anyone who remembers those times.
I had a friend called Joyce Talbot who was hoping to join the QAs.
Belsmum

Re: Ampthill in the 60s

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:09 pm

Welcome to the forum

Did you see this thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1189

I see that someone posted about their time there.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby oceanbreeze » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:56 pm

having followed that link, which is most interesting, thanks to Memory Lane's meticulous research, one wonders if tRussell House is, or should be, listed. I know that it has often been referred to as 'in a rather fragile' state , even when it was being used bythe County Music Service.
oceanbreeze

Postby Belsmum » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:06 pm

Thankyou for your replies. I had seen the other thread which prompted me to join the forum.

In 2005 I was travelling back home to Lincolnshire from Swindon and decided to change my usual route to take in Ampthill.

When I stopped outside "Clevedon " I could see that it was being used as Council offices. I went in to the reception just to say that I had lived/worked there 40 years previously and would they mind if I wandered round outside and I was offered a tour !!

I was amazed to see that very little had changed from my time there, although I was told that what had been the kitchen during my time had become a swimming pool and in 2005 was just a store room.

Upstairs in the attic room that used to be the bedroom which I shared with 2 other girls, in each corner where our beds had stood there was a desk . Unfortunately, the door to the roof was locked so couldn`t go up there.

At the end of my first year the move down the drive took place, so following my first success I decided to go there as well, but because it was still in use the tour was not so thorough !!! but more interesting in the fact that some of the staff remembered some staff members from my time.

In each building they seemed pleased with what I could tell them of the differences, ceratinly a trip down memory lane for me.
Belsmum

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:12 pm

It is boarded up now and looking very sad :(
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Belsmum » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:09 pm

I saw on Streetview that it boarded up.

What a shame if all those lovely features, the fireplaces, woodpanelling etc., are lost to " development "
Belsmum

Return to Days gone by....