Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

By pass A507 history

Memories of Ampthill....
or maybe trying to trace an old friend or relative
...any local history in fact

By pass A507 history

Postby wotcha » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:55 pm

During my early days at Redborne they lost quite a chunk of sports field when the bypass was built.

That's really interesting. As an Ampthill noob (only 15 years), I often try to picture it before the by-pass was built. Presumably, for example all through traffic came along Woburn Street and then along Church Street - must have been chaos.

So where did the playing fields used to be then - have they relocated them or have they just shrunk?

Just a thought - maybe we need a topic on what Ampthill was like before the by-pass was built - hard to imagine now. I suppose it's laziness or ignorance on my part, but don't even know when it was built? And did it stir up a lot of opposition or were people really pleased to have it?
wotcha

Re: Planned Development behind Fallowfield & Lammas Way

Postby oceanbreeze » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:52 pm

Have a look at Images of Ampthill, you will see what Ampthill was like, pre by pass and the crowds that campaigned for it. Some people even lay down in the street, and Mothers pushed their pushchairs in front of the traffic.

London brick lorries rumbled along Dunstable Street, loaded with bricks, 10 or so a day, Sainsbury lorries rattled up Church Street to and from Buntingford, 10 or so per day. Queues of stationary cars along Church Street backing to Maulden in the evening rush hour, and much the same as now, long queues of traffice from Huntings through Town in the evenings. Woburn Street was always, and still is, relatively quiet in comparison.

There were not very many objections to the Bypass , just a big debate as to whether it should be North/South or East/West.
oceanbreeze

Postby sizzla » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:27 pm

So when was the bypass built?
sizzla

Postby Paradise_Alley » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:34 am

wotcha wrote:So where did the playing fields used to be then - have they relocated them or have they just shrunk?

The sports field extended to where the bypass is now and just beyond it, to as far as the brook went. I've just been trying to look on the map for the extent that the sports field was lost (they did just shrink, not relocated at all) and it doesn't look as much as I recall it to be. I was going to say that they lost the area of about 3 or 4 football/rugby/hockey pitches but after looking on the map, perhaps one or two might be more accurate.
sizzla wrote:So when was the bypass built?

I reckon the sports field area was lost in 1981 and the bypass would have opened in 81/82, possibly as late as 83. One of the PE teachers at Redborne at the time was keen on organising a race along the bypass, IIRC, though I don't recall whether it did take place or not. I wasn't a competitor anyway. Before anyone STARTS, at that point of time I was a LOT FITTER then than I am now and would have managed it EASY.
oceanbreeze wrote:London brick lorries rumbled along Dunstable Street, loaded with bricks, 10 or so a day, Sainsbury lorries rattled up Church Street to and from Buntingford, 10 or so per day. Queues of stationary cars along Church Street backing to Maulden in the evening rush hour, and much the same as now, long queues of traffice from Huntings through Town in the evenings. Woburn Street was always, and still is, relatively quiet in comparison.

There were not very many objections to the Bypass , just a big debate as to whether it should be North/South or East/West.

I well recall the large numbers of lorries that used to thunder through town, especially in Bedford and Church Street. In Church Street at this time, being a pedestrian on the narrowish section near the church was an over-rated pastime.
I do recall the debate about East-West or North-South as well. I'd say that the right option was taken.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:49 am

thanks for the reply - interesting for the 'new' residents of the area. It must have been a nightmare. I am surprised that Woburn street was quiet - was that not the way to Ridgmont? Will have to find an old map.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Re: By pass A507 history

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:52 am

I have split this as thought it was a bit off topic for fallowfield
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Paradise_Alley » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:48 am

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote: I am surprised that Woburn street was quiet - was that not the way to Ridgmont? Will have to find an old map.

Yes it was, but bear in mind that MK was still in its infancy at that point and there was no development at all around the old brickworks at Ridgmont. The A418 (as it was then) was really quite quiet, certainly compared to now.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Return to Days gone by....