Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Winner from Redborne school

Things to join and get involved in. Includes sports clubs and local charities

Winner from Redborne school

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Not quite the olympics - but good to hear of local achievements :)

http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/News ... 072012.htm

Teen rider races his way to world crown BY ADAM THOMPSON

V for VICTORY: Henry Goldhawk celebrates his success aboard Scorpio

A 14-year-old schoolboy has fought off international competition to land a world equestrian title in Wales.
Henry Goldhawk, who attends Redborne Upper School in Ampthill, bagged the under-14 crown at The Mounted Games World individual Championships in Chepstow ahead of 35 other competitors last Saturday just weeks before he heads off to Italy to represent England at the European Championships.
The teenager, who is a member of Old Berkley Hunt North Pony Club, won four out of seven races on his pony ‘Scorpio’ which saw him clinch the best average position to win the individual competition.
When he’s not competing Henry helps out his parents, Les and Debbie, who run a commercial horse-drawn carriage business in Haynes.
Henry said: “I worked my way up bit from bit to take the lead.
“I pushed all the way but I wasn’t nervous I was cool about it.
“All my friends think it’s really good. My school and teachers couldn’t have been more supportive.
“I’ll be off to Italy in a few weeks and then on to the Horse of The Year Show which will be shown on television” His mother, Debbie add: “Henry was so cool and calm and the French boy, Colin Verdelhan who finished second, fought him all the way. We are so proud of Henry.
“He is a good sportsman and was a very popular winner with the crowds at Chepstow.
“I couldn’t stop crying when he won.”
CraftsbyCarolyn

Re: Winner from Redborne school

Postby SCRABBLER » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Well done him!! Next stop for this young man is the Olympics in 4 years time. :AA
SCRABBLER

Return to Clubs and Societies